Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

March 2 is the birthday of the great Theodore Geisel who you all have heard of. Or at least, you know him if you've ever read or heard of "The Cat in the Hat", or wondered if you like "Green Eggs and Ham" or if you've called someone a Grinch. Mr. Geisel, or as you know him Dr. Seuss, truly left a lasting impression on the world. I consider him the king of writing amazing children's books and even more astonishingly of children's books that adults enjoy. If you don't agree, just try reading "Green Eggs and Ham" or "The Butter Battle Book" out loud without having fun. I dare you. I can't believe Dr. Seuss has been gone for twenty years now. I'm grateful for his creativity, for his cleverness and for his unlimited imagination.

Take a look at the tribute I wrote to the great Doctor a few years ago in honor of his birthday.

Oh the Places He Took Us

Here's an extra bonus: Rachel Ray reading the full text of "Green Eggs and Ham" complete with Dr. Seuss' incomparable and quirky illustrations. Ray reads with enthusiasm and joy though I don't think she's perfect. However, it's almost impossible not to enjoy the adventures of Sam-I-Am and his finicky friend. Try it, try it, you will see.

http://www.examiner.com/literature-in-national/rachel-ray-reads-green-eggs-and-ham-video


No comments: