Sunday, February 11, 2018

Get to Know this Classic Hero: The Scarlet Pimpernel

Every book lover has experienced pure joyful discovery. This is not only the moment you discover a good book, but the slow dawning realization that you've found a really great book. A great book that will stay with you for years to come. This sensation actually doesn't occur very often, so it is an experience to be treasured.
One of my favourite Pimpernel book covers. 

I don't recall the exact moment I picked up Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel from our school library, but I still remember the sensations of utter delight I felt while reading it. To say the least, I was captivated by Orczy's suspenseful adventure of the mysterious hero rescuing people from the guillotine during the French Revolution. I couldn't understand how I had apparently never heard of this engrossing, unforgettable and dashing hero before. I am still surprised that more people don't love the adventures of this enigmatic man who well preceded Batman as a modern day hero in disguise.

Fortunately enough people loved the character so Orczy's stage play about him was turned into a novel. Her style might seem a bit too dramatic for some, but she handles her characters masterfully and builds wonderful suspense. Her ability to incorporate twists and surprises is spectacular. Just what you need in a beguiling adventure. 

I am so glad the love of the character ensured that there were many more books. The sequels I've read so far have not been as good as the first one, but they are worth it for more adventure and further scenes of the character. 

Anthony Andrews in Pimpernel mode. 
My fascination with the book led me to explore it in my enthusiastic review "Seek Out the Scarlet Pimpernel for Unforgettable Romance and Adventure" on The Silver Petticoat Review.

The character's popularity has also prompted filmmakers to put the Pimpernel in tv series, films and radio plays. (I recently finished listening to an excellent adaptation starring James Purefoy.) 

If you read the book, you should definitely have a look at the tv series starring Anthony Andrews. My review " 'They seek him here, they seek him there' - Find the Best Scarlet Pimpernel Right Here!" details some of the great delights in this one. You should also seek out the film version starring Leslie Howard as I believe I prove in "Experience the Allure of the Scarlet Pimpernel (1934)" It is not often a book you love has not one but two excellent adaptations. It's very difficult to choose between the two productions mostly because the lead actors inhabit the character so well. But this is a wonderful dilemma to have. 

If you're looking for a new hero to root for, new adventure and a story that truly engrosses you. No need to seek further. 

Leslie Howard plays the Pimpernel with style.

“They seek him here, they seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere
Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
That demned elusive Pimpernel”



No comments: