Thursday, February 24, 2022

Spotlight: “Endless Possibilities” - A Look Into the Mind of Children’s Author Sherwyn Williams


 

When local children’s author Sherwyn Williams was little, his mother always made sure to carry a pad and pencil around when they went anywhere because her son would get caught up in a daydream and start doodling.  She wanted to make sure he had a creative outlet for his fantasies.

 Maybe she had  a vision herself of what Sherwyn would achieve in the years to come. Her son kept doodling and dreaming and trying to bring his ideas to life. When I made friends with Sherwyn a few years ago, he was well along his way to developing his visual style; now one of his most vivid ideas has come to life in his vibrant children’s books starring the precocious Jada. Sherwyn writes and illustrates the colourful stories of this adventurous, little girl with a big imagination. 

I asked Sherwyn some questions about what inspires his work, his creative process and his writing goals.


Related: Six Books by Trinidad and Tobago Authors for Your Favourite Young Bookworms!

What books did you enjoy when you were a child? 

Reading was not on my agenda until my mother introduced me to  the Moby illustrated classics collection, those books that were made in the 80s and had really cool illustrations. I read Tom SawyerThe War of the Worlds, Oliver Twist and so many more.  If i’m being honest, I wasn’t much of a reader until then. My mother was the one that was really big on reading and expanding her knowledge. It’s been one of the things I’ve admired most about her. You had to capture me visually first, and she found just the thing.  

What inspired you to start writing?

So many factors that got me into writing. I’d always been involved in story-telling in many, many forms. I’ve been a photographer. I’ve done theatre, music, and I’m also trained in fine arts. There was also a time where I had the crazy idea to create my own Saturday morning cartoon, so I started practicing my character designs, and one day it hit me! Picture books! It just felt really natural honestly.

Where do you get your ideas/inspiration for your own writing?

Many places honestly. Ever since my childhood, I’ve always gotten lost in a daydream where my seemingly boring surroundings turned into a massive adventure. My mother always carried a pencil and notepad with her because I’d just stare into space and doodle. It’s carried over into my adult life and really has fueled my creative process. Anything around me can be turned into inspiration. A great example is the common cold - a simple illness is now my best-selling book and antagonist.

What have you found the most gratifying about the response to your books?

 At the beginning of this journey, I hadn’t really thought about representation in the way I do now. What really changed that for me were the moments children and parents had said things like “Jada looks just like me/ my child.” Can’t describe the feeling to you, but it’s beyond gratifying. It’s a moment where you feel like you’re doing exactly what you’re meant to.

What are your inspirations for your illustrations?  

All of my characters are based on or inspired in some way by the people in my life. I’m one of those creators that annoyingly makes you a funny cartoon, and my siblings are probably over it at this point.

What do you hope your illustrations bring to your work? 

 I want my illustrations to connect with my viewers and be a form of escapism. I try to create characters that inspire that feeling of endless possibilities. I really want to spark that childlike sense of wonder and exploration.

Who are your current writing inspirations? What do you admire about their work? If you could ask them any advice, what would it be?

My biggest inspirations right now are individuals that write for TV. Gennedy Tartakovsky for instance is a literal genius. His way of storytelling and using simple forms is really inspiring to me. I’d definitely ask him what’s his formula for storytelling.

What do you know now that you wish that you had known when you started writing?

If you know me personally, you know that I’m passionate and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work. I wish I knew I could relax a bit more and have fun. Kids are really forgiving, and they give you room to get better. They’re also very honest, and that’s what’ll teach you what works and what doesn’t.

What is your writing routine? 

It really depends on how the inspiration comes. Sometimes I’d put on a good playlist and flesh out my ideas in a notepad; other times, I draw little storyboards of what I see in my head as I’m really visual. I can definitely say 90% of my process happens in a notepad.

What is the most difficult part of writing for you?

Sometimes “the big lesson” doesn’t always come to me immediately. Most times I’m sketching or writing something that’s really fun and imaginative, but the challenge comes when I consider what I want my little readers to learn. That part gets a little lost at times, and I have to refocus and adjust.

Do you ever suffer from writers block? How do you overcome it?

 I used to beat myself up about it, but now I really believe in timing. I just take a break or a nap, but mostly I’m patient. Other times I’m seeking inspiration by consuming content from my favorite creators or food.

What advice do you have for anyone who wants to write a children’s book?

Dive in and welcome to the no sleep club! Think about what you want to say and how it’ll translate within a lifetime. You’re writing for kids, and there’s a chance what you present to them may stay. Do right by them. Make it worth it and have fun.

You chose to self publish. Why?

 I was discouraged from creating a children’s book and advised to create a textbook instead by a few local publishers. I respect their business, but it’s not what I wanted to do, so I went the way of self publishing. 2020 really caused a surge in books locally and across the region. It was pretty special to be a part of, and it’s all mostly self published.

Do you have any thoughts on the publishing industry in Trinidad and Tobago?

I don’t know enough about it as I’m not with a publisher but that remains to be the problem. There isn’t enough transparency on who or what they are as a publisher. Many stories aren’t being published because the writers don’t know where to go or how to attain publication. Now more than ever is the time for publishers that are able to take works international to be created or discovered. 

What is your next project?

Currently I’m creating a new Adventures of Jada book that focuses on individuality and self confidence. I’m excited about it actually. I think it’s a special one. 

Also, Little Tony! I’m aiming to make Little Tony a new series about a little boy who is very curious about life and what the world has to offer. He’s just as ambitious as Jada, but he’s younger so that gives a lot more room for discovery. Little guy with big ideas.



Do you have any writing resolutions/goals for this year? What are they?

I want to add more dimension in my illustrating and writing. I’m putting a lot more time into the content I create. Not only do I want my work to be impactful, but I want it to be lasting and special to my readers. How special would it be for a little boy or girl to be excited about tackling something they’re passionate about because of one of my books? The dream.

What are your ultimate goals for your writing career?

When I started this journey, I honestly didn’t think past just creating something I wanted to see and now I’m excited about creating long term. I want to continue writing, creating new titles, series and content. I also want to travel and experience more of our world, so I can put that into my books. I want a really fruitful, fun and life-changing career. I’m also hoping to give children like myself a reflection. If they can see themselves in the work, then I’ve done my part.


 Find out more about Sherwyn's books on his social media Facebook: @adventuresofjada Instagram: @adventuresofjada

Purchase Information: 

  • Local - contact the author Sherwyn Williams on Facebook @adventuresofjada, Instagram: @adventuresofjada or by email: adventuresofjadashop@gmail.com for paperback copies - $60TT +. $25.00 shipping
  • Local  - order paperback copies from myexcellentstores.com - $62.95 plus shipping
  • International - order on Amazon - paperback $14.00US + shipping, ebook $4.99US

 

 

 

No comments: