Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let's go Through the Looking Glass on World Poetry Day!

Today is World Poetry Day and therefore a great time to reflect on poetry and its impact on our lives. Apparently the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) created the day "...to support poetry, return to the oral tradition of poetry recitals, promote teaching poetry, restore a dialogue between poetry and the other arts such as theatre, dance, music, painting and so on, support small publishers and create an attractive image of poetry in the media so that the art of poetry will no longer be considered an outdated form of art but one." I'm all in favour of that! I am beginning to find more and more that the right poems speak to me, and I'm working to incorporate them more in my creative journey. 


One of the best ways to enjoy poetry is like the best way to enjoy Shakespeare i.e. listen to it being read out loud. Below find a poem read by Benedict Cumberbatch, one of the trendy new actors out there who is appearing in some exciting new projects, one of them being the voice of Smaug in The Hobbit movies. Cumberbatch has a thrilling voice, so I have no doubt he'll do a great job. He's reading Lewis Carroll's nonsense adventure poem "The Jabberwocky" which I've always enjoyed. It's from the second Alice in Wonderland book "Through the Looking Glass". As Alice said, "Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas — only I don't exactly know what they are!"


Let me know what you think of Cumberbatch's reading in the comments. Do any poems stir you? Let me know so I can check them out. Let me know if there are recordings I should check out. 


No comments: